Wednesday, March 20, 2013

FINAL PROJECT IDEAZ.

Hi. I'm particularly interested in doing my final project on media representations of teenagers with substance abuse issues. I've noticed throughout the years that teenagers and drug culture have continuously been represented SUPER dramatically and negatively. Teenagers in the media with drug problems are portrayed as "rebels", "bad kids", "punks" or using substances to act out against their parents OR to fit in with the "cool kids".

I'm a Psychology major in the CDAS (Chemical Dependency and Addiction Studies) program and I work with teenagers struggling with addiction so I know how much that stigma bothers them. ALSO, the media, in recent years, has started to glamorize drug culture in music, popular television and other forms that influence teens. There are millions of media representations of teenagers with substance abuse issues and here are a few that I first thought of:

This girl has become flat from smoking pot.

This is a mixture of clips from Skins showing attractive teenagers getting f***ed up.

Look at that! Even the Biebz smokes the reef.


Wow-ee, Look at the size of that blunt! You go, Rhianna. 


More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment