Sunday, March 31, 2013

Boys (Argument)

I was very impressed by this article. Kimmel did a fantastic job of pinpointing the issues and problimatics of what's wrong with American masculinity today. I particularly liked the quote, "There's no question that there's a boy crisis. Virtually all the books cite the same statistics: boys are four to five times more likely to be diagnosed as emotionally disturbed, three times more likely to be diagnosed with attention deficit disorder, and fifteen times more likely to be victims of violent crime". This, to me, reminds me of a lecture I had in Physiological Psychology. We learned in that class that the Y chromosome is tied to a motherload of genetic disorders, Alzheimers, and a bunch of other diseases that are not prevalent in women, Men die earlier, are more prone to disease, and it makes me think that men are kind of more worse off then women due to their genetic disability. I really wish that I could write more on the subject but I have to tell you that I worked 3 doubles in a row, I'm babysitting my friend Jay's cat (who is super meow-y and annoying and I have to get up at 7am tomorrow so I did the reading and I'm fully prepared to discuss it in class on tuesday, but I have to sleep and I'm really looking forward to our class and everyone in it, Love you guys. I'm fading fast. I'm 22 years old but I feel like a 78 year old man. See you guys in class on Tuesday. In the next class I;d like to discuss the concept of masculinity and what that means to everyone, Love you guys/ Catch you on the flip side.

xoxioxxoxxooxxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary
    There might be some biological bases of violent behavior and gender. However, I believe that the culture also affects how we react to bullying. In the article the authors are hypothesizing that white boys understanding of masculinity an important factor in school shootings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE are definitely all affected by these concepts and how they affect our everyday life... I totally agree that guys are very much at a greater health risk due to their masculinity issues that cause them a lot more anxiety and stress due to their lack of venting and problems that occur with their mental health due to the expectations they feel they need to fufil.

    ReplyDelete